10 January 2014

Recipe | Perfectly Poached Eggs

Poached eggs used to be torture for me. They are my favourite type of egg and yet, all I would get when I attempted to cook them was a saucepan of eggy, frothy water. 

Less than ideal.

That is, until I cracked it (yup, I went there).



Here's what you'll need for some perfectly poached eggs:

Ingredients
Fresh eggs (The fresher the better!)
1 - 2 teaspoons of vinegar (my favourite is Aspalls Cyder Vingar)





Equipment
Saucepan
Slotted Spoon

Method
Half fill the saucepan with water and heat the water until it is almost boiling, you want tiny bubbles to be rising to the surface and nothing more. Turn the heat down if it starts to boil. 

At this point add the vinegar, this helps keep the egg white together and stops them becoming frothy and watery! (This was the key to my poaching success, I'm not yolking!)


One by one, crack the egg into a cup and then place the cup near the surface of the water. Gently drop the egg into the water.



 You can help the egg stick together at the stage by gently nudging the eggs whites closer to their yolks using the slotted spoon.
Leave the eggs in the pan until the egg whites are cooked, this usually takes 3-4 minutes. Once cooked lift them out with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain for a minute. 



And voila! Perfect poached eggs. 



Serve with lavishly buttered toast or an english muffin, salmon and hollandaise sauce. 


Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment