29 August 2014

Recipe | Cheesecake Brownies

Ever get that moment where you can't decide between a cheesecake and a brownie? This is a constant for me in my life.... however, I have just solved it.

Everytime I visit Aidan's family in Berwick I take a sweet treat with me - I had promised his brother a cheesecake or brownie concoction after he helped me out with the website and my other bakes had been teasing him on instagram.

After having a search around for inspiration I stumbled across this recipe which was the best of both worlds. Vanilla baked cheesecake and a gooey chocolate brownie.


The only way I can describe these are tiny squares of gooey heaven. If that hasn't sold them to you then I'm not sure what will.

P.s Please excuse the tupperware and Scotrail sponsored background - These were made about ten minutes before my train departed and were still baking hot when we reached Berwick, after which they promptly disappeared. Snapping them on the train was my only option!

Ingredients

For the brownies

225g/8oz dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
150g/5½oz unsalted butter
3 free-range eggs
225g/8oz caster sugar
100ml/3½fl oz strong espresso
100g/3½oz plain flour

For the cheesecake
150g/5½oz full fat cream cheese
50g/1¾oz caster sugar
1 free-range egg



Method

Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Grease and line a 8in/20cm square cake tin.

For the brownies, melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Don't let the bowl touch the water, I have done this far too often and you end up with chocolate gravel.) Remove the bowl from the pan and set aside to cool.

Whisk the eggs, caster sugar and coffee in a bowl and then sift in the flour and chocolate mixture and mix until well combined. (Try not to eat any - I failed).

For the cheesecake, beat the cream cheese, caster sugar, egg until smooth (Again, try not to eat any).

Spoon the brownie mixture into the cake tin then spoon the cheesecake mixture on top and use a knife to cut lines into the mixture to create a marble effect (This is where you're allowed to lick the bowl).

Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until just set. Remove the tin from the oven, set aside to cool completely, then cut into squares.


4 comments:

  1. Wow these look delicious!! I love brownies so much but would never have thought of making them with cheesecake, these have made me seriously hungy ;)
    Love Holly xx

    www.thehollydays4.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try the recipe out - let me know if you do! Even if you skip the cheesecake part it is the gooiest brownie recipe I have ever used! xx

      Delete
  2. I've heard of cheesecake brownies before but have never tried making them myself. I love my brownies gooey and these look just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came out perfectly gooey! Definitely give the recipe a go! Let me know how you get on. Lucy xx

      Delete