2 February 2014

Recipe | Butternut Squash Soup With A Kick

I've had a butternut squash sat in the bottom of my fridge for a good couple of weeks.

It was an impulse buy during one of my more adventurous shops and safe to say every time I have opened my fridge I have been struck by a pang of guilt when I catch a glimpse of the lonesome vegetable.



Today however, its time had come! 

Hurrah!

Below is how I turned this unassuming vegetable into a cosy soup, a perfect lunch to warm us up before the rugby!

Ingredients:
600g Butternut Squash (One large one) Peeled and Deseeded.
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Knob of Butter
1 large White Onion (diced)
2 Cloves of Garlic (diced)
1/2 Red Chilli (more if you fancy it!)
5-7 Rashers of  Dry Cured Streaky Bacon, Diced.  (Add more or less depending on how bacony you want it!)
900ml Vegetable Stock or Bouillon.
4 generous tbsp of Creme Fraîche (and more to serve)

Method:

Heat the oven to 200c. Cut the butternut squash into cubes about 1 inch long. Toss in 1/2 of the Olive Oil and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. 

Or until they have turned beautifully golden and soft. 



Whilst you're waiting for the butternut squash to cook melt the butter and oil in a saucepan and cook the Onions, Garlic, Chilli and Bacon. Leave to cook down on a low heat until the onions are cooked through and soft. 



Once the Butternut Squash is cooked add it to the pan with the stock and Creme Fraîche. Whizz up with a stick blender until it is smooth. Return the pan to the heat, gently reheat and season to taste. 




I find with the bacon in it all it really needs is a sprinkling of pepper and a topping of Creme Fraîche and Chilli!

Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment